The alleged child molester died before his trial. His complainants are now being blamed

Kampala, Uganda – When she heard the news of her torturer’s death, Asha said she felt her heart stop beating for a few seconds. He wrote to CNN, “I didn’t know how to react. I was broken, trembling. I can’t believe it, I don’t know if I was crying,” he wrote to CNN.

Hope is one of the young women who went to court in Uganda over the past year to testify against German national Bernhard “Berry” Glazer. Who has been accused of weak sexual abuse Girls like her, who lived in her care.

“I give him credit for his good work but no one is perfect, he also has a dark side and that’s what people have failed to understand,” Hope said, whose name has been changed to protect his identity.

Glazer died in early May at Murchison Bay Hospital, where he treated inmates at Luzira prison in Kampala, Uganda. The day before his death, he was granted bail with international leave for the treatment of stage III cancer.

He has been in detention since last February, when he removed himself and was charged with 19 counts of human trafficking, then in April he was formally charged and arrested with 19 counts of human trafficking, seven counts of gross abuse, one count of obscene torture and one ‘Bare Place’. The calculation of operating an unauthorized children’s home known as’. He was first arrested in 2013, but the case was dismissed after the survivors and their parents failed to appear in court to testify.

“Obviously, Bayer’s condition was serious and we feel sorry for his family for this time. But we also feel sorry for the victims and there are many more,” said Rachel W. Bichol, assistant director of the Ugandan Public Prosecution, calling the evidence against the defendants “irresistible.” Has done.

Bijol told CNN that when Glaser’s laptop was recovered during a search of “Bears Place” in February 2016, he faced tests, during which nude videos and photos of the victims – those under the age of a few – were found. When questioned, Bikhole said Glasser claimed the material was used to raise funds.

“These girls and young women will not see the day he was held responsible for his crimes.”

Rachel W. Bikhol, Assistant Director of Public Prosecution in Uganda

Bijol said investigators also received emails and Facebook messages from him to a key witness on Glazer’s computer in the 2013 case, Bikhol said. CNN reached out to his lawyer for comment.

“These girls and young women will not see the day they were responsible for her crime,” Bijol added. “They have endured horrific sexual abuse for so many years that they have had a lasting effect on them throughout their lives and they will not be able to tell.”

Proponents of her case have been working to make the actual transcript of this statement available online. Proponents of her case have been working to make the actual transcript of this statement available online. As a result, he made no appeal before his death. Glasser’s lawyers have denied attempts to delay the proceedings. In a statement sent to CNN from WhatsApp in February, a lawyer representing Glasser denied that he had committed the alleged crime.

A survivor named Patricia, whose name has also been changed, told CNN that she “never missed a court session,” traveled eight times in Kampala and Masaka to testify – only to be repeatedly told that the case would be adjourned again.

“We performed poorly due to trauma and incessant travel to court, resulting in us missing exams,” said Patricia, 20, who has been abusive since she was 11 and is now studying at university.

Hope described the past year as a “very difficult year for abuse and grievances.” After recounting their experiences, survivors like Hope and Patricia have been convicted and their testimonials have been called into question, along with several Ugandan media reports and social media.

Before giving time to process the news of Glaser’s death, Hope said he and other witnesses began receiving calls and messages with threats and curses labeled “murderers.”

As reported CNN investigation In the February case, Asia Namusok Embazza – a social worker who communicates with Berry Place, who eventually told Glazer – opened a police case of abusive communication and violent threats following similar interactions.

A preliminary police report obtained by CNN found the case was ongoing, using five phone numbers to threaten to “injure or harm” Ambazza, who is under investigation in the case. Dylan told CNN he did not threaten anyone.

After Glaser’s death, Embazzao also received a new round of threats, and government prosecutor Bikhole also told CNN that he had “attacked a lot” and received threats on social media.

“I want to hide, I want to run, I want to run away so no one can find me,” Hope wrote. “But is this the right thing to do? I’m just a witness,” he added, adding that “even a simple thing from him to grieve us” could mean so much. Hope further told CNN that he is fighting to support other survivors much younger than him, who is currently living in a shelter.

“I can’t lend them shoulders to cry because I needed one to cry too,” he wrote.

“We will continue to find ways to help these victims,” Bijol said. “And we will continue to fight against human trafficking in Uganda as we still have a lot of cases and victims that need attention.”

Steve Austin

Steve is a really a Tech Geek sitting behind this blog with his awesome team, who are passionate about discovering new things online and writing about them. Get most of his Brian by following this blog.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *